Rotorua as seen in the News
October 1889 & 1890 Bay of Plenty Times (BPT)
Local talks and negotiations with Government continue as they seek to purchase the new Town. See the Fenton Agreement.
BPT 12 October 1891: The Town Board offers a £5 reward for information on the person or persons who destroyed recently planted willow trees on the Esplanade.
BPT 26 Oct 1891: Many applications are being received for business and residential sections in the new Town. Minister of Lands assures them he will arrange matters to the gratification of the applicants.
BPT 26 Oct 1894: An Auckland builder W.H. Holman’s tender to build the Rotorua Court House is accepted.
Hot Lakes Chronicle 2 October 1895 :
‘The Town Board calls for tenders for the formation of Pukuatua & Hinemoa Streets between Fenton and Tutanekai Streets, and for grubbing the extension of Hinemoa Street’
‘Town Board has estimated that the cost of water pipes to be extended along Tutanekai and various cross-streets would cost £972 and a further sum of £500 would be required to extend the Postmaster’s Bath’
‘Stray cattle & horses might still be seen at large about the streets, in spite of the ‘stringent’ instructions to the Poundkeeper. He recently manifested his zeal in impounding the [Town Board] chairman and secretary’s horses and it was gratifying to see that he showed not fear nor favour’
‘Mr Dansey proposed a ‘Fire Brigade’ for the town and asks for funding from the Town Board. The Chairman, Mr Malfroy, said “that in the meantime it was only a moral support that could be given, but he believed that in a measure now before the House [Parliament], power would be given whereby the Board could aid them financially.” Mr Corlett one of a deputation for the Fire Brigade, stated that some work had already begun to form a Brigade and would like assistance from the Board in “obtaining a site for a fire station in the new town” in the conversation that ensued, it was suggested that there would be plenty of room in the Courthouse enclosure and it was not likely that the Dept. of Justice would make any objection’ [This did eventually occur in c1905 after the Grand Hotel burned to the ground on October 24th 1904]
|Fire brigade outside station, Haupapa Street, Rotorua; Circa 1921; OP-864|
Owner of Photograph : Rotorua Museum
Hot Lakes Chronicle 7 Oct 1896 the Local news includes the following:
‘The Native Land Court has been engaged during the week in dealing with succession orders, and the partition of the Paeroa Block, Waiotapu. The Horohoro cases will be taken on the 15th.’
‘The Whakatane-Te Teko road is now advanced to within five miles of the Tarawera River. The construction party is now working about two miles to the westward of Rotorua and Rotoiti-paku, between which lakes the road will pass’
‘The highly mineralised atmosphere in this locality has a most deleterious effect on the delicate mechanism of watches and enquiries are frequently made as to which watch is best adapted to withstand the sulphur fumes. Mr Kohn a watchmaker of Auckland… supplies a particular make of stem-winding watches… which are warrented impervious to the influences in question’
‘The Prospecting Association held a meeting to receive reports from the prospectors who have been at work at Horohoro and in the neighbourhood of Tapuaeharuru on Lake Rotoiti. In regard to the former a Mr Macdonald stated that he had found nothing which would indicate the presence of gold.’
‘A highly successful tea and social took place in the Schoolhouse on Wednesday evening last in aid of the funds for the erection of the Presbyterian church’
In the Hot Lakes Chronicle 21 Oct 1896 an article appeared on ‘Work at Whakarewarewa’
The Geyser Area at Whakarewarewa as surveyed by Mr Baber, work had already begun and further work planned to open up the area by road and footpaths. The article mentions a rickety bridge by which access is currently gained to the area and it was expected that a new bridge, ‘strong and wide enough for vehicular traffic’ would be built. The article goes on to say ‘In regard to Pohutu, Mr Malfroy informed us [the people in this entourage] that he intends to do something which will cause it to play regularly every day at a certain hour.’
In the Hot Lakes Chronicle 28th October 1896 a report was published outlining the Library and Reading Room Annual Report.
One of the income items was listed as ‘Sales of Waste Paper’ and they received a sum of £1 and 8 pence.
The listed expenses included Newspapers, Magazines, Kerosene, Insurance, concerts expenses, coal, solicitor’s fee’s and stamps. This all came to the grand sum of £59. The Library and Reading Room at this time was in a small building next to the Comet Store, as seen in a photo published in our October 2018 blog post.
Auckland Star 3 October 1912: Lands for selection ‘Certain areas of town and village will be offered for sale or lease by public auction by the Crown Lands Department at the Assembly Hall…the greater portion of the land is situated in the town and suburbs of Rotorua.’
Lyttelton Times 7 November 1914: Rotorua Tenures Commission formed. “It has been ascertained that under the ‘Thermal Springs Act, 1881 there were 386 leases’ a further 429 leases were issued under subsequent acts in 1892 and 1908… the ‘Commissioners are of the opinion that it would be in the interests of the State that any holder of leasehold Crown lands other than the occupiers of the Education Reserve desiring to obtain freehold should be afforded the opportunity’
Rotorua Chronicle 9th October 1920: Rotorua Town Lands Act is passed.
Evening Star 31st October 1922: Rotorua Borough Act is passed, this enables the first Councillors and Mayor of Rotorua to be elected. This also is when the Tourist Department ceases to administer the affairs of the town.
Rotorua Morning Post 14th October 1937: The First State Houses are built (next to Council Housing Project)
Rotorua Morning Post 14th October 1940: The new Library was officially opened (in the Municipal Building)
Rotorua Morning Post 5th October 1942 : The avenue of Gum trees lining both sides of Fenton Street are to be felled because the Electricity Dept. says they are too tall and are encroaching on the lines.
Rotorua Morning Post 29th October 1945: The Dedication of the Bell Shrine at Ohinemutu takes place. This is a memorial to Mr Tai Mitchell.
Rotorua Post 11th October 1955: Mr Ed Hillary is in town to raise funds for his NZ Team to Antarctica.
Rotorua Post 13th October 1956: The Rotorua branch of the National Council of Women is inaugurated.
Daily Post 3rd October 1964: The new Rotorua Airport is officially opened.
Daily Post 14th October 1966: The premier of Howard Morrison’s film “Don’t let it get to you” is shown.
Daily Post 4th October 1967: Alfred Hitchcock visits Rotorua.
Daily Post 13th October 1969: The new Kiwanis Club receives their Charter.
Daily Post 6th October 1971: The Rotorua Association of Paraplegic and Disabled Persons is formed.
Daily Post 15th October 1973: The Rotorua Supreme Court is officially opened by the Chief Justice of New Zealand Sir Richard Wild.
Daily Post 3rd October 1978: The Citizen’s Advice Bureau officially opens in Arawa Street, with a trained volunteer staff of 44. They will be open 6 days a week.
Daily Post 1st October 1980: The Ritz Hall on the Cnr of Fenton & Amohau Streets is demolished.
This Blog Post by Alison with thanks to Papers Past for access to the online copies of the Hot Lakes Chronicle and other New Zealand Newspapers, Rotorua Museum and the Rotorua Library Don Stafford Collection.