Thursday, 25 February 2016

February of Yesteryear in Rotorua: Pt 4

It happened on this day.

This is the final post in a four part series of events that happened on this day in February in Rotorua. This week there is an extra bonus day as it's Leap Year. If you've missed the previous posts, find them here:

Dates for events are drawn from the works of Don Stafford.

22nd February 1965

First Dinner at Towers Restaurant

The Tudor Towers Restaurant was officially opened by Mayor, A.M. Linton at a dinner with around 130 guests on the 22nd of February 1965. The Restaurant was in the upstairs area of the Bath House but the whole building was often referred to as Tudor Towers.

Library & Council Staff at the Tudor Towers 196? from Kete Rotorua

Want to know more?

The Government Gardens by Philip Andrews
Rotorua Daily Post article: 23rd February 1965 available on microfiche at Rotorua District Library.
Kete Rotorua
                              

23rd February 1970

Jean Batten Visits

Jean Batten visited New Zealand for the first time in 33 years in 1970. On the 23rd of February she spoke at Rotorua Girls High School, Rotorua Boys High School and McKillop College and went flying with Fred Ladd.

Want to know more?

Rotorua Daily Post article: 23rd February 1970 available on microfiche at Rotorua District Library.
Jean: The ballet of Jean Batten - View on the NZ Film Archive at Rotorua District Library.
Alone in the sky by Jean Batten.
The Infinite Air by Fiona Kidman.
Te Ara
The Infinite Air Audiobook          
  

24th February 1940

Ngati Pikiao Donates 10 Ton of Potatoes To Maori Battalion

Want to know more?

Papers Past - Auckland Star 24th February 1940

25th February 1891

Ginders resigns as Chair of Town Board


Both Dr Ginders and Mr Malfroy also contributed significantly to the town outside of local politics.

Dr Ginders was Rotorua's Resident Medical Officer at the time that the first Hospital or Sanitorium opened in 1885 and Camille Malfroy was an inventive engineer who put his talents to work both with the goldfields of the West Coast and the geothermal resources of Rotorua.

Want to know more?

The Founding Years in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford
Taking the waters by Ian Rockel
Te Ara - Biography of Camille Malfroy by Philip Andrews
Kete Rotorua

26th February 1913

First Maori Branch of the Reform League Formed in Rotorua

The Reform Party led by William Massey came to power in New Zealand Government in 1912. The NZ Political Reform League preceded the Reform Party and later merged with it.

The first Maori branch of the Reform League was established in Waiteti under Whakaue Matehaere and Te Whare Takirihi.

Want to know more?

The New Century in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford
Papers Past - Bay of Plenty Times 28th February 1913
Te Ara - Reform Party
Te Ara - William Ferguson Massey
                              

27th February 1933

Bill Whareaitu Breaks 50 Yard Swimming Record


Bill Whareaitu, also known as William or Wiremu, was born in Rotorua in 1912. He broke the 50 yard swimming record at the New Zealand Swimming Champs in Napier on the 27th February 1933.

He was the first Maori to go to the British Empire Games in London in 1934 competing in the backstroke and medley events. He also served in World War II in the 28th Maori Battalion.

Want to know more?

Read his profile on Swimming New Zealand.
Listen to Wiremu Whareaitu's message to the Maori Battalion on 28th Maori Battalion.
Don Stafford File: Sports
                 

28th February 1927

Te Arawa Soldiers Memorial Unveiled


The Memorial to commemorate Te Arawa men who fought and died in WW1 was unveiled by the Duke of York on the 28th of February 1927.

A project is currently underway to restore the memorial.

Photograph of unveiling of Arawa Soldiers Memorial from Papers Past.

Want to know more?

Immigrant Sculptor William Henry Feldon by J.R. Feldon.
The Government Gardens by Philip Andrews
Kete Rotorua
Papers Past - New Zealand Herald 1st March 1927
Read about the restoration project on Rotorua Lakes Council news.
              

29th February 1984

Opening of First FestivArt

FestivArt 84 began on the 29th of February 1984.

The five day festival was the first concentrated arts festival to be held in Rotorua. Dame Kiri Te Kanawa was the festival's patron and events included art, fashion, films, craft, dance, drama and music.

Want to know more?

Rotorua Daily Post article: 29 February 1984 available on microfiche at Rotorua District Library.


That brings us to the end of this series. I hope you have enjoyed journeying through the February of yesteryear in Rotorua.


This series of posts is written by Sandra Quinn, Heritage Collections Librarian, Rotorua District Library.

Friday, 19 February 2016

February of Yesteryear in Rotorua: Pt 3

It happened on this day.

The display of events that happened on this day in Rotorua is being added to every day on the 2nd Floor of Rotorua District Library. Keep following the events online with our weekly blog posts. This is the third post in a series of four. If you've missed the previous posts, find them here:


Dates for events are drawn from the works of Don Stafford.


15th February 1985

Moose Lodge becomes luxury resort

Moose Lodge is situated on the shores of Lake Rotoiti.

Dr Frank Rayner bought the land in 1898 and built a hut for weekend fishing trips, hanging stuffed moose heads on the hut’s outside walls. When he died in 1931, his friend Sir Noel Cole bought the land and built Moose Lodge. He and his wife entertained friends, VIPs and even royalty with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip staying in 1953 and Prince Charles and Princess Anne visiting in 1970.

Moose Lodge reopened in February 1985 as a luxury holiday resort after refurbishment and expansion by owners Errol and Noeline Officer.

Want to know more?

Unique lodges of New Zealand by Jill Malcolm
Don Stafford Files: Hotels Vol. 1, 183
Library Files: Buildings
Rotorua Photonews 5th May 1967


16th February 1984

Ex-President Jimmy Carter Visit ends 


The combined Lions Clubs of Middle Districts and Manawatu invited former US president Jimmy Carter to speak at a fundraising event and he eventually accepted, lured by an added fishing trip.

He also spent time fishing in Taupo and visited the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute in Rotorua before leaving New Zealand on the 16th of February 1984.

Want to know more?

Rotorua Daily Post Article: 16th February 1984 available on Microfiche at Rotorua District Library.
The Lions Club of Palmerston North Middle Districts History.


17th February 1896






Want to know more?

Hot Lakes Chronicle 19th February 1896 available on Papers Past


18th February 1960


National Film Unit in Rotorua Filming "The Maori Today".

"The Maori Today" is a short documentary filmed by the National Film Unit in 1960. Much of the footage was shot in Rotorua and the Bay of Plenty. While the perspective was one of pakeha promotionalism, there is some quality footage from this time.

Rotorua footage includes Mr Tiwaka Akatipa using the linotype machine at the Post, Māori students from Girls’ and Boys’ High Schools, St Faith’s Church Youth club, carvings and meeting houses.


Want to know more?

Rotorua Post Article: 18th February 1960 available on Microfiche at Rotorua District Library.
Watch the documentary online at NZ On Screen.


19th February 1940


Foundation Stone of Tutanekai St Police Station Laid


Peter Fraser laid the foundation stone of the "new" Police Station on the north-east corner of Haupapa and Tutanekai Streets in what is now the Pig-n-Whistle Pub on the 19th of February 1940.

Underneath the foundation stone there is a box containing copies of the Public Works Statement, estimates and plans of the building and coins and stamps of the realm.

Want to know more?

For more information on the Tutanekai St building including the meaning behind the Maori designs read:
Policing two peoples: a history of police in the Bay of Plenty by Jinty Rorke.
Kete Rotorua - Pig-n-Whistle Pub
Rotorua Morning Post article: 19th Feb 1940 available on Microfiche at Rotorua District Library.


20th February 1924

Spencer Mausoleum Dedicated


The remains of Reverend Seymour Mills Spencer, his wife Ellen and many of their family are in a family vault at Kariri close to the site of the Mission site Spencer settled in 1845. The Spencers worked among the Tuhourangi iwi during their time at Kariri and later at Te Wairoa where they moved in 1852.

A window in St Faith’s Church, Ohinemutu depicts Rev. Seymour Spencer and the umbrella he was well known to carry and even sleep under.

Want to know more?

Mission to Tarawera: Rev. Seymour Mills & Ellen Stanley Spencer and some of their visitors. Lake Tarawera 1842-1870 by J.M. Scobie.
Te Arawa : a history of the Arawa people by D.M. Stafford.
Kete Rotorua
Papers Past


21st February 1883


Guide Kate Given Award for Bravery


Guide Kate, also known as Kate Middlemass or Keita Rangitukia, was presented the Humane Society Medal in February of 1883. While in a canoe with tourists on Lake Rotomahana in January of 1882, the canoe capsized and Mr Bird from Te Puke went under. Kate dived down and brought him back up to the canoe.

Photograph from Kete Rotorua of Guide Sophia, Guide Kate and an unknown guide.


Want to know more?

The Hot Lakes Guides by John Cresswell
Zealandia's brave: the Royal Humane Societies in New Zealand 1850 to 1998 by John Wills.
A to Js Online
Kete Rotorua


This series of posts is written by Sandra Quinn, Heritage Collections Librarian, Rotorua District Library.

Friday, 12 February 2016

February of Yesteryear in Rotorua : Pt 2


It happened on this day.


The display of events that happened on this day in history in Rotorua is being added to every day on the 2 nd Floor of Rotorua District Library. Keep following the events online with our weekly blog posts. This is the second post in a series of four. If you missed the first post, read it here. Dates for events are drawn from the works of Don Stafford

8th February 1960

First traffic lights.

Traffic lights were used in Rotorua for the first time at 2:50pm on the 8th of February 1960 on the corner of Hinemoa and Tutanekai Streets.

Want to know more?

Read about the ensuing confusion in the Rotorua Daily Post for February 9 th 1960 available on Microfiche at Rotorua District Library.

9th February 1959

THE STEADY GROWTH OF NEW ZEALAND'S RAILWAY TRAFFIC THE ROTORUA EXPRESS ON ITS WAY FROM AUCKLAND TO THE DOMINIONS WONDERLAND - Auckland City Libraries

Diesel Railcar Service replaces Steam Express


The first diesel railcar service from Auckland to Rotorua started on the 9th of February 1959. The new daily service meant the end of the Steam Express. The railway to Rotorua had officially opened in December of 1894.

Photograph from Auckland City Libraries of the Rotorua Express.

Want to know more?

Last train to paradise: journeys from the golden age of New Zealand railways by Graham Hutchins
The New Century in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford.
Rotorua Post 9th & 14th of February 1959 available on Microfiche at Rotorua District Library.
Kete Rotorua


10th February 1970

Kepa Ehau Dies at Home in Ohinemutu.


Kepa Hamuera Anaha Ehau was a law clerk, interpreter, WW1 soldier and Te Arawa Leader. He had vast knowledge of iwi history and whakapapa and was most noted for his whaikōrero or oratory.

Kepa Ehau was of Ngāti Whakaue and Ngāti Tarawhai/Te Arawa descent. As well as speaking Te Reo Māori and English, he also spoke French, German and Italian.

Want to know more?

Kepa Ehau me ōna hononga = Kepa Ehau and his affiliations by Darrell Guy Rangitihi Pene.
Te kaka tarahae : he kohikohinga pakiwaitara, poroporoaki hoki  = a collection of stories and speeches of farewell by Kepa Ehau of Ngati Whakaue, Te Arawa ; compiled by Hamuera Walker Mitchell.
Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand


11th February 1966


A & P Showgrounds becomes Utuhina Park Subdivision.


The old Rotorua A & P Showgrounds were across from Rotorua High School on Old Taupo Rd. The first Rotorua Agricultural, Pastoral, and Industrial Association show was held in 1910. ‘Utuhina Park’ subdivision was advertised on the 11th of February 1966 and the A & P showgrounds has since been at the Western Road site in Ngongotaha.

Want to know more?


Daily Post 11th of February 1966 available on Microfiche at Rotorua District Library.
Papers Past


12th February 1893

First Race Meeting at Arawa Park.



Race meetings of the Rotorua Jockey Club or Rotorua Racing Club were held in Rotorua as early as 1872. The earlier course was in the area now encompassed by Pukuatua, Fenton, Amohau and Amohia Streets.

The first race meeting was held at the new Arawa Park course on the 12 th of February 1893 and they continue on the same site to this day. Photograph of a Scene at Arawa Park in 1901 from the Alexander Turnbull Library.

Want to know more?

The Founding Years in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford

13th February 1946

Gas Producer Cars Banned in Rotorua.


Cars converted to run using charcoal burning gas burners were called gas-producers. It was an alternative to petrol in the 1940s when petrol was rationed.

Gas producers were less powerful and some motorists dropped live embers on the roadside. It was thought that some large fires in the North Island may have been caused by gas producer cars.

Photograph of car with rear charcoal gas producer from Wikimedia Commons.

Want to know more?

The New Zealand People at War : The Home Front Vol. 2
See video footage of coal gas for cars in the 1940s
Rural fire history of New Zealand


14th February 1900


Ohinemutu residents raise patriotic funds for Boer War

The 2nd Boer War started in October 1899 and ended in May 1902. Over 6100 New Zealanders served in South Africa over this time. 

Government funding for the soldiers needed to be supplemented and the New Zealand public, women in particular, raised Patriotic Funds by selling items and running events.


Want to know more?

Papers Past
Rough Riders at War by Richard Stowers.
NZ History - South African War 1899-1902  


This series of posts is written by Sandra Quinn, Heritage Collections Librarian, Rotorua District Library.

Friday, 5 February 2016

February of Yesteryear in Rotorua

It Happened on this Day 

Through the month of February, there will be a display on the 2nd Floor of Rotorua District Library of events that happened on this day in history in Rotorua. You can also follow the events online with weekly blog posts. This is the first post in a series of four. Dates for events are drawn from the works of Don Stafford


1st February 1887


Rotorua County formed by separating from Tauranga County.

The Founding Years by D.M. Stafford - cover
Rotorua county was separated into North and South Riding and elections were held in April 1887, then again in November 1887 with the same members being re-elected.


There were issues around whether fees should be collected by the County or the Town board. All the Rotorua County Councillors resigned in October 1888 and no further elections were held. The Rotorua County Council was not re-established until 1911 with Cabinet providing Administration under the Thermal Springs Districts Act in the interim.

Want to know more?

Kete Rotorua - Rotorua County Council to 1960
Rotorua District Council Official Handbook and Services Guide 1994-1995
The Founding Years in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford

2nd February 1987

First School to teach in te reo Māori opens.

Te Kura Kaupapa Māori o Ruamata at Ruamata Marae, Rotokawa, was the first Kura Kaupapa in Rotorua.

Cathy Dewes was heavily involved in establishing the school. Of the 11 inaugural students, 4 of them were Cathy’s children.

Want to know more?

An excellent article titled “Persevere no matter the cost” on Cathy Dewes and education based on a Māori ideology can be found in: Mana : the Maori news magazine for all New Zealanders, Aug/Sep 2003, p95-101

3rd February 1931

Majestic theatre converts to talkies.

The Majestic Theatre which was in Tutanekai Street  converted to “Talkies” on the 3rd of February 1931.

Want to know more?

Kete Rotorua - Majestic Theatre

unidentified Māori woman holding tobacco leaves, Rotorua area, Bay of Plenty Region 4th February 1929

New tobacco crops planted.

New tobacco crops were planted at Te Koutu and Kawaha.

Photograph from Alexander Turnbull Library of an unidentified Māori woman holding tobacco leaves, Rotorua area, Bay of Plenty Region.

Want to know more?

The New Century in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford

5th February 1966

Rangi and Rotorua: An Illustrated Guide to the Thermal Region - cover

Guide Rangi retires from guiding.


Rangitiaria Dennan was of Ngati Pikiao (Ngati Hinekura hapu), Tuhourangi and Ngati Tarawhai descent.


She trained initially as a teacher and then as a nurse before becoming a guide at Whakarewarewa. She saw guiding as a way to educate people about the Maori world view.



Want to know more?

Te Ara - Rangitiaria Dennan
Guide Rangi of Rotorua
Rangi and Rotorua: an illustrated guide to the thermal region by J.H. Richards

6th February 1914

Plunket nurse appointed

Nurse Ada Chappel was appointed as the plunket nurse in Rotorua on the 6th of February 1914.

Want to know more?

Read more about the history of Plunket in New Zealand and particularly about Nurse Ada Chappel’s dilemmas with bicycles while posted in Auckland in the book, I was a Plunket baby: 100 years of the Royal New Zealand Plunket Society Inc

7th February 1870

Te Kooti retreats from Rotorua

Te Kooti and his forces of over 200 arrived in the under-defended area of Rotorua. They sent a letter ahead saying they came in peace. Based on various factors, Gilbert Mair believed Te Kooti would attack.

With his smaller force of Arawa men, he began a day long combat that saw the loss of lives on both sides and caused Te Kooti to retreat.

Want to know more?

The Founding Years in Rotorua by D.M. Stafford
Gilbert Mair: Te Kooti’s Nemesis by R.D. Crosby
The New Zealand wars: a history of the Maori campaigns and the pioneering period. Vol. 2 by James Cowan
Redemption songs : a life of Te Kooti Arikirangi Te Turuki by Judith Binney.


This series of posts is written by Sandra Quinn, Heritage Collections Librarian, Rotorua District Library.