Rotorua Thermal attractions.
1930 - Kuirau Park, a new layout designed by Landscape Architect Mr F. Tschopp. He included rugby, cricket, soccer, hockey, tennis, netball, croquet, running and cycling tracks, open air swimming pool, a children's playground, dressing pavilions, rest rooms and a tea kiosk as well as all the natural thermal ngawha.
|Photograph taken 1961 by L.R. Leigh.|
1940 - Borough Motor Camp utilised the diviner to locate a source of hot water for baths and the laundry.
1940 - Cosy Cottage Motor Camp bore drilled to supply hot water to the camp.
1940 - Rotorua Primary School bore drilled to supply hot water for baths.
1946 - Amohau Street Transit Camp bore drilled to supply hot water to the camp ablution block. Cooking boxes were planned for the following year.
|National Publicity Studio. Archives NZ|
1948 - DSIR Scientist Mr R.W. Foster received approval to install a thermal reticulation system to the block bounded by Pukaki, Fenton, Whakaue & Tutanekai Streets.
1953 - Government passed the 'Geothermal Energy Act' this stipulated that all bores deeper than 200 ft. required a licence.
1958 - Mr Gilltrap donated an old traction engine to the Borough Council for the children's playground in Kuirau Park.
1962 - New Zealand Insurance Co. Ltd. donated a fountain and funds for surrounding gardens for Kuirau Park as part of the company anniversary celebration.
1966 - Approx. 60 bores existed in town and in the area closest to the centre of town.
1967- Mr Lewis Vause engineer, built an artificial geyser.
1967/68 - Mr N. T. Ussher opened Thermal Nurseries in Sala Street.
1970 - Waikite Hot Pool complex opens.
1972 - Ward Baths becomes Polynesian Pools.
With Thanks to Don Stafford, Archives NZ and Kete Rotorua for the above information and photographs.